Predata Releases U.S. Midterms Signal Observer
Predata’s U.S. Midterms signals capture the level of online activity related to issues of importance in the November 2018 elections. The signals—which cover issues ranging from the economy to the environment to the Russia investigation—provide an indication of which topics are most salient to voters at any given time.
Currently, the signals show that:
- Tax policy and the U.S. economy are consistently drawing attention online
- Despite a likely impending escalation in the U.S.-China trade war, online interest in the subject is relatively low.
- Limited online interest in Supreme Court issues suggests opposition around Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearings may not materialize, despite the sense that his appointment could pose a threat to Roe v. Wade.
- Gun control is unlikely to be a salient issue for the Midterms.
- Interest in the Russia investigation trailed off following the Manafort trial but is poised to rebound.